Sunday, May 13, 2012

Tot School

Pin It Now!
Tot School
Avery is 31.5 months old and Parker is 9 months old

TOT SCHOOL
I don't have too many pictures of tot school this week because we spent most of our time working out in the garden.  Avery was such a big helper!  She helped me pick what we were going to grow, plant the seeds, and water the garden.  In the vegetable garden we are growing cucumbers, peas, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries (those we have had for years), broccoli, butternut squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, and a bunch of herbs.  Avery also has her very own flower garden where she is growing a mix of wild flowers that is suppose to attract hummingbirds and butterflies.  

We did have a chance to do a couple works early in the week.  Her favorite this week was a sand pouring work that we did with a funnel.  I wanted her to see that the funnel made it easier to pour the sand into a small mouthed bottle so when I gave her the work for the first time I gave it to her without the funnel.  She got most of the sand in the bottle but a lot still went on to the tray.  We talked about what happened and why.


Then I gave her the funnel and let her try the work again.  Afterwards, we, once again, talked about what happened and why.  I think doing the work both ways really let her see and understand the purpose of the funnel.  



She loved watching the sand go slowly down the funnel! 
When I showed her the work I only used the funnel to pour the sand into the bottle.  But after she did the work a couple times she told me that using the funnel would also make it easier to pour it into the pitcher.  So that's what she started doing.  Such a smart girl!  


We also did a grind work with the mortar and pestle.  I knew I was making some rosemary fingerling potatoes later in the week so she used the mortar and pestle to grind the rosemary for me.  She really liked this work also and thought that it was pretty cool that she was helping me with dinner. 



Linked up to:

Montessori Monday

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful activities, Liz! It's awesome that your daughter is so involved with your garden ... and in the kitchen! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete